Hi dear brothers and sisters in cyberspace!
According to Internet sources such as these ones in Wikipedia, Jeremiah Wright is a retired pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ, a predominantly African-American congregation in Chicago, US. He has a history of calling a spade a spade, and pointing out the illogical oppresion dished out daily by his own government.
But instead of being celebrated as a newer version of Martin Luther King Jr., Reverend Wright is vilified by the US mainstream media, and by Republicans and Democrats alike. Oprah rejected him. Barak Obama also disowned him due to the fallout of Wright´s post 9/11 sermon called ¨The Day of Jerusalem´s Fall” where he mentioned, in effect, ¨God isn´t going to BLESS America like we sing and declare all the time. No, for all our evil and genocidal interventions at home and around the world, God will judge America, God will DAMN America.¨ Nothing that Jeremiah the Israeli prophet, Jesus Himself, or the Apostle Peter would not have said, were they standing by America and watching her actions.
On Youtube a few years ago, 2007 I believe, I watched this complete sermon of Reverend Wright where he condemned US imperialism and stated that it is logical that Muslims and other people would hate and seek revenge on the US after it has commited genocide and abuse all around the world. And, I would add, in American eyes, if the US retaliates against perceived evils, it´s called heroic justice, righting the wrongs of history, freedom fighting, avenging our fallen brothers and sisters, showing the world that we are not wimps.
But if someone else rises up and attempts to ¨take the power back¨, as Rage Against The Machine so eloquently put it, they are branded by the US as terrorists, insurgents, hate filled avengers, bloodthirsty savages, Evil Incarnate.
Well, screw the US for its double standard. Screw Canada & UK & everyone else who joined in this nonsense. And please don´t blame other ethnicities and ideologies for rising up and wanting to kick your ass. Uncle Sam, you deserve it!
Is Wright hate filled because ABC and all the right wing media and right wing politicians portray him as such? Wouldn´t we be able to say that all the OT prophets such as Moses, Haggai, Jeremiah, Amos, etc were hate filled in angrily exposing the sins of not only their own people, but of the surrounding nations? Also, the NT is full of Rev Wright – like commentary. Yeshua did a 3 year long, non-stop attack against the Pharisees and Saducees. Paul was strong against anyone who opposed Yeshua and the movement. Peter wrote 2 Peter which could scare the toenails off a person. Jude was probably even stronger than Rev Wright. And Revelation is so anti-evil that it would put every Republican and Democrat in trauma through its powerful language against churches and against Babylon.
Here is my response to the accusations of Marta Mossburg, writer for the Baltimore Sun, regarding Reverend Jeremiah´s Baltimore visit and sermon last year. I have bolded the parts I am responding to within the text of the article, which I have cut and pasted at the latter half of this post. Here are my reactions:
– Wall St selected Obama: TRUE – you said it yourself, Obama is an agent of the Chicago Club who has a big hand in Wall St
– Roman emperors named months after themselves: TRUE – maybe we should purge our Western culture from the influence of the Roman Empire. Even our days are named after Roman gods. We are a culture steeped in paganism. And as Viola and Barna state in their book Pagan Christianity, Greek and Roman paganism is the defining feature of a big chunk of modern day Christianity
– Michelangelo painted a white Yeshua: TRUE – why not paint a Jew to look like a Jew
– US public schools do not teach enough black history: TRUE – why can´t African-American children learn more of their roots, just like First Nations kids being taught more of who they are. It is wise for them to master the knowledge and skills of the dominant culture, but perhaps the biggest hindrance is MOTIVATION: why should I learn about my oppressor´s culture? I have a answer: to beat him. Beat the white man at his own game. Calvin Helin didn´t directly say this, but this message seems hidden between the lines in Dances with Dependency and The Economic Dependency Trap. And I would add, don´t hate the white man. In Osoyoos, BC, in the Okanagan Valley, Clarence Louie and his Osoyoos band are partnering with the town of Osoyoos to make the place a #1 tourist drawer, and it´s working. But the task of African-Americans, First Nations and everyone else is quite daunting: master the know-how and skills of the Anglo-American Empire we were all raised in, play the game hard like the Boston Bruins in last year´s Stanley Cup Final Series, and at the same time deeply familiarise yourself with your own inherited culture. I am trying that with Norwegian culture, although it is very tough! The Norwegians, Swedes, Finns, Danes and Icelanders at the Scandanavian Business Club I belong to near Burnaby Lake hardly speak their languages at all. At least they have Aquavit (like vodka) to remind themselves of their hard-drinking ancestry!
– the term ¨Middle East¨ implies that Europe is the centre of Mother Earth: TRUE – and Far East, Third World, Indian = First Nations, etc. I am surprised more people have not condemned Anglo-American hegemony in history instruction, politics, economics, entertainment, etc more than they have. Amos, Yeshua and Jude would have done it!
– the state of Israel is illegal, genocidal: TRUE – Israel was founded by the Brits who were merrily cutting up the Middle East and Africa any way they pleased. Why not set up a state that nobody needed, in the middle of an ugly desert, smack dab in the middle of a bunch of poor Muslims, just when the anti-Semetic Europeans wanted to salve their consciences about the Holocaust they allowed and also, while they were at it, banish the European Jews off to another continent? Which Jew would not prefer to move to the US instead? The Brits and US did whatever they wished, and THAT should be against international law. Also, Israel is genocidal: instead of getting along with their Palestinian and other neighbours, they hurt and antogonise them. Did anyone ask for a bunch of Russians, Americans and Ethiopian Falasha Jews to be dumped on their doorstep, then equiped by the US and UK with the world´s most sophisticated weapons and best armies?
– African-American kids can study their culture daily, just like Jewish kids can study theirs: TRUE – EVERY kid in the US and Canada should be allowed to learn their ancestry. While learning the TRUE history of European brutality in the Americans, kids can learn about the nations they came from. The misguided author below saying that kids don´t suffer from an ID crisis but from a lack of basic skills. well, remember, one of the most important human issues is MOTIVATION. Why the heck should I or anyone have a passion to learn the skills of my oppressor? Just to have him refuse me for a job and give it to his white buddy, when I apply? Just to have my own people mock me for being ¨white-washed¨? Just for Europeans gloat that the poor African or Latino or Native American kids have to learn their worldview and the skills to match it, rather than their own ancestries and traditions? This is simply KKK chewed, digested, spit out and made palatable. White people like myself need to repent in dust and ashes, and renounce our pride and arrogance. We need to allow others to be themselves, while at the same time allow them to have the same jobs as us, the same opportunities to start and grow their small businesses, the same right to celebrate their background just as we stupidly celebrate Columbus Day, Memorial Day, Remembrance Day, Easter, Christmas, 4th of July, Canada Day, etc. Vive la multi-culture!
Anyways, that´s my diatribe for today. May the Amoses of the world rise up!
Reverend Wright brings his anti-American crusade to Baltimore
Marta Mossburg writes that Obama’s former pastor urges blacks to disavow their country
June 21, 2011|By Marta H. Mossburg
Forget hope and change; victimization is in. Dropped by the president and dismissed as a racist by many Americans, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright still draws crowds with his sometimes crotch-grabbing, always riveting soliloquies about black oppression.
The former pastor of Barack Obama drew thousands last week to the 8,000-member Empowerment Temple in Baltimore City. Overflow lots at the church were filled, and five blocks on either side of the massive stadium-like stucco building in Park Heights — a part of town where Orthodox Jews mix sometimes uneasily with blacks — were wall to wall with cars.
In this city where nearly 80,000 people left (along with 53,000 jobs) in the last decade, it’s easy to understand why his message resonates.
For Mr. Wright, however, subjugation is a universal truth. Even the president, in Mr. Wright’s mind, is not in control of his own destiny.
“Barack Obama was selected before he was elected,” said Mr. Wright, dressed in black pants and a short-sleeved, African-style printed tunic. “Wall Street selected him. GM, Ford and Chrysler selected him. When you are selected by them, you are beholden to them.”
Referencing the Book of Exodus, he warned churchgoers to “Please remember that Pharaoh was black, so not all of your oppressors are white.” A chorus of “amen” and a phalanx of arms rose simultaneously into the air in agreement with Mr. Wright.
And he said faith was not a path to riches, repeatedly poking the expensively dressed Empowerment Temple Pastor Jamal Bryant for driving a Range Rover. “Every word that is in the Bible was written under six different types of [government] oppression,” he said.
Mr. Bryant spent much of the hour-and-a-half interview with Mr. Wright with his immaculately manicured right hand on his head, slouched deep in his seat.
Mr. Wright spread the blame for black persecution around on lots of people and epochs. He hates Roman emperors for renaming months after themselves and upsetting their proper numerical order; Michelangelo for painting Jesus as white; U.S. public schools for teaching the American Revolution instead of African history. In particular, he hates the term “Middle East,” as it implies Europe as the center of the world.
And he hates Israel. “The state of Israel is an illegal, genocidal … place,” he said. “To equate Judaism with the state of Israel is to equate Christianity with [rapper] Flavor Flav.” Laughter erupted from the mostly female audience on that remark.
His solution: “We need to help African-Americans see they are just Africans born in another country.”
This could be achieved in part by requiring African-American students to study African history after school each day, just like Jewish children who receive a separate Hebrew education, he said. (Never mind that all of that education has not prevented cross-faith marriages and a weakening of the ties of successive generations to Judaism.)
And never mind that students today suffer not from an identity crisis but a lack of basic skills. Studies show student self-esteem at an all-time high. But at Baltimore City Community College, 80 percent of incoming students need remedial education. Statewide, public two- and four-year institutions report 56 percent of students going directly from high school to college need some form of remedial education in a state honored three years in a row as having the top public education system by Education Week.
Empowering the children of the Empowerment Temple to rise above their circumstances would mean fewer converts down the road, however. And it would shatter the myth of a black liberation theology that needs Baltimore and Detroit and other crumbling cities to exist in order to be relevant.
Mr. Wright’s fiery rhetoric likely won’t prompt any defections from the Barack Obama camp, either. As Daily Show “Senior Black Correspondent” Larry Wilmore recently said, “He [Obama] could lose the black vote. … If he can’t get a hold of this economy, then goodbye 96 percent, hello 94.”
But believing in an America that will never change is a lot easier than remaking it into one in which he would like to live. Mr. Wright said, “When you say yes to politics, you say yes to compromise.” What’s worse is telling struggling single mothers with boyfriends, husbands and sons in prison and homes in foreclosure that the only way out is to disavow America for an African dream that has never existed and never will.
Marta H. Mossburg is a senior fellow at the Maryland Public Policy Institute and a fellow at the Franklin Center for Government and Public Integrity. Her column appears regularly in The Baltimore Sun. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
– taken fromhttp://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-06-21/news/bs-ed-mossburg-wright-20110621_1_african-history-american-revolution-barack-obama, accessed Apr 23, 2012.